Hiking is a healthy and funny activity, no special equipment is strictly necessary. However in order to safely and comfortably join an adventurous excursion, some small measures are necessary; Here are some tips on what to take with you for your adventure with Etna & Sicily Wild Trekking.
And remember: are you missing something? Are you out of space in your suitcase? Contact us! We will be happy to provide you with everything you need for free.
- Wear strong hiking boots that also protect the ankles: the volcanic terrain is often very bumpy, consisting of sharp rocks or thick coats of lava sand. NO SANDALS OR CANVAS SHOES (CONVERSE ET SIMILAE).
- Etna is a volcano characterized by important daily temperature variations, choose for an “onion layers like” clothing in order to be prepared for a wide range of temperatures; even in summer, depending on the weather conditions, it is not unusual to go from +30 ° C to + 10 ° C during the course of the excursion.
- Bring a comfortable and capacious backpack where you can store clothing that you are not wearing, water, packed lunch and any technical material. The ideal backpack for a daily summer excursion has a capacity of about 30 liters.
- The Sicilian sun is ruthless! Whether you are exploring the Pantalica canyon or wandering the Etnean lava desert at an altitude of 3000m, do not forget to use some good sunscreen and a hat.
- A pair of sunglasses can protect your eyes from the volcanic sand that rises due to sudden and spiteful gusts of wind or the blinding sunlight reflected by the snow.
- For summer excursions, consider an estimated water consumption of 2 liters per person. The hiking activity requires good hydration and, especially on Etna, there are no sources or points where to fill the water bottles.
- Although not strictly necessary, long hiking pants are useful in order to avoid the entry of volcanic sand into your boots.